To get help from LARS, an individual must live in the Greater Laurel area in one of four zip codes:
- 20707 (City of Laurel, Prince George's County)
- 20708 (Prince Georges County)
- 20723 (Howard County)
- 20724 (Anne Arundel County)
Services are provided to anyone who needs assistance in the Greater Laurel area regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or unfavorable discharge from military service. The person requesting assistance must first come in to meet with a caseworker. Clients may either "drop in" (Monday, Wednesday, or Friday from 9:00am - 2:00pm) or schedule an appointment during intake hours (Monday/Wednesday/Friday 9:00am - 2:00pm, and Monday evenings from 5:00pm-7:30pm). We will do our best to accommodate walk-ins, but to ensure that you are seen please call ahead for an appointment. A caseworker will conduct an "intake" session lasting approximately 30 minutes with the individual or family to assess needs.
Clients must come prepared with the following documents:
- A valid picture ID (driver's license, military, employee, etc.)
- Dates of birth for all household members
- Social security cards for all household members
- Proof of income (pay stubs or a letter from employer)
- Proof of need (such as a BGE bill and copy of cut-off notice, court eviction notice, or demonstrated inability to pay)
- Copy of a lease or a letter from landlord to verify address
The caseworker will assess the client's needs and, if necessary, refer the client to another agency for appropriate resources. The case worker may also render a decision regarding the client's eligibility for financial assistance from LARS. Typically clients must schedule a follow-up appointment with LARS in order to receive the financial assistance. Checks are always made out directly to the vendor (landlord, BGE, etc.). Checks are never made out directly to the client.
Although we are not always able to assist our clients in the way that they would like, we do make all attempts to serve those in need to the best of our ability. At a minimum, we attempt to refer all clients that we are unable to assist ourselves to other agencies that may be able to help.