There are many ways to make a monetary donation to LARS:
- Send a check. Please make checks out to "Laurel Advocacy & Referral Services, Inc". Checks can be mailed to: 311 Laurel Avenue, Laurel, MD 20707.
- Donate online. Clicking on the GiveDirect link to the left will take you to the LARS online donation page provided by Local Independent Charities of America. Visa and MasterCard donations are processed free of charge. American Express donations are assessed a low transaction fee of 2.85%.
- Donate a vehicle. The Vehicle Donation Program is a free service for converting that extra car, truck, or RV into a tax-deductible donation benefiting LARS.
- Give at work. Federal employees and those with a United Way workplace giving program can designate contributions through their respective Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) or United Way campaign. Our United Way number is 8843. Our CFC number is 92544.
LARS is a private non-profit charity recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)3 organization. We are incorporated in the State of Maryland. Contributions to LARS are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
LARS' Services are Funded By:
- The City of Laurel
- Local congregations
- United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Emergency and Transitional Housing Services (ETHS)
- Homelessness Prevention Program (HPP)
- Emergency Food & Shelter Program (EFSP), a federal program
- Fannie Mae Community Service Grant (CSG) and Help the Homeless Community Walk Program (private)
- United Way Community Services Fund
- Various private foundations
- Local Independent Charities (LIC)
- Rental Allowance Program (RAP)
- Individual donors
- Prince George's County Special Appropriations Grant
- Client fees (Transitional Housing rent contributions)
Approximately 80% of funds come with significant restrictions, which generally do not include paying the staff. In 2010 LARS Administration overhead was 12%, meaning that 88% of every donated dollar goes to client services.